Flossing is an important habit to incorporate into your everyday oral hygiene routine. Moreover, flossing keeps your gums and teeth clear of debris and bacteria. If flossing isn’t part of your everyday dental routine, it can lead to the development of plaque and other dental issues and diseases.
As a general rule of thumb, the American Dental Association recommends flossing at least once per day and brushing twice per day. Incorporating flossing into your daily routine is not only good for your teeth, gums, and oral health, but also for your overall health.
3 steps to achieve proper flossing
- First, wind about 18 inches of floss around your fingers, leaving a couple inches of floss to work with.
- Second, hold the floss taut between your thumbs and index fingers, sliding it between your teeth gently.
- Lastly, curve the floss around each tooth and be sure to reach your gum line.
What type of floss should I use?
- Nylon or multifilament floss – this type of floss is available waxed or unwaxed in a variety of flavors. It can be prone to shredding or tearing between tight teeth.
- Polytetrafluorethylene (PTFE) or monofilament floss – this material is more expensive but less likely to shred, making it easy to slide between the teeth.
- Floss picks and water flossing is also available if traditional floss is difficult to use.
Excellent oral hygiene goes beyond brushing your teeth twice a day. Additionally, it involves flossing properly to reduce the likelihood of developing tooth decay and gum disease.
Book your next appointment with our team
Talk with your dentist about your dental hygiene routine and oral care products that are most effective for you. At Reflection Ridge Dental, we personalize appointments based on each patient’s needs. Contact us today to schedule a consultation!